Dudley Hill Golf Club Course History
We are starting to build out the history of the club.
Dudley Hill Golf Club, formerly Webster-Dudley Country Club, Inc. opened on June 7, 1926. The club was formed by local residents of Dudley and Webster.
The state charter for the club, issued by State Secretary Frederic W. Cook, was delivered on February 3, 1926.
Devereux Emmet, a famous golf architect of the time, was hired by Horatio N. Slater at his own expense to build a nine-hole golf course in November 1925.
Less than a year later, the 3,200-yard course was ready for play and local golfers could not wait. The first invitational tournament was held on August 25 and 26, 1926. Two golf watches, one for a man and one for a woman, were given to the winners.
The first club championship tournament, a 36-hole event, was held on labor day weekend in September 1926.
Raymond W. Sheldon Sr., publisher of The Webster Evening Times, won the championship, defeating William G. Haggerty, a town lawyer and state representative.
Directors of the golf course leased the nine-hole facility to Nichols College for 10 years on March 24, 1949, because of financial troubles. Over the next eighty years, the course has been managed by volunteer and professional organizations.
Today, Dudley Hill Golf Club is owned and operated by Nichols College. What used to be known as the old clubhouse, is now known as the “Bison Den,” which features a bar, restaurant, and pro shop. Students have the opportunity to intern and work at the business for academic credit or a paid position.
The “Den,” serves as a real life, working lab for students who are eager to learn more about businesses and how they are ran. The restaurant/bar is open year round to the public and Nichols College students. Come on in to grab a sandwich, drink, play a round or golf, or hangout with your friends!